Welcome to Appreneur Investor!
My name is Oliver and after 7 years of being an appreneur, I’ve finally decided that I’m “retiring” in my mid 30s. I use that term loosely because I very much still am motivated to learn and create new income streams. I enjoy it a lot. This blog allows me to hold myself accountable for projects I am working on and allows me to keep track of my progress while sharing my experiences.
I’ve been creating apps since 2010 and saving most of my income by living below my means. In the summer of 2010, I had an idea for an app and saved up for two months to fund it. I spent all of my $5000. It was boom or bust. Luckily it was a very mild boom. Enough to generate some extra passive income. My first taste of passive income motivated me to pursue more ideas and projects. I continued to save most of my income from my day job and my new passive income stream from apps to fund my next idea. Once my app portfolio income exceeded my salary, I quit.
I knew that even though my income was unpredictable, I had time on my side and saving and investing early on would give me a huge advantage. I learned a lot from reading a few finance blogs back then (which are still around today), but I couldn’t find anything related to appreneurship. All I could find were get-rich-quick stories on “How to get rich off iPhone apps” and nothing of real value. This blog is not about how you can get rich quick from apps, but more about sharing what I’m still doing to create passive income streams in today’s competitive market, investing, and saving.
My Appreneur Journey
I took my first bootstrapped company to $1M back in 2010.
This was back when there was no video recording on your iPhone, hence where I took some of that market share for that supply and demand. The app store was completely different than the app store you see today. (Around 200K apps in 2010 vs 2M apps in 2016)
Not too long after, that first company sizzled out and I sold it for a small profit to start the next two companies.
My second company passed $1.5M.
My third company just barely passed $1M at the end of 2016.
I’m not here to tell you that I’m some sort of expert in creating passive income streams from apps, but I have put in my 10,000 hours. In those hours, I’ve made hundreds if not thousands of mistakes. It’s definitely been a learning process and I’ll share those stories on this blog with you.
Random Facts About Me
- I’m a huge Boglehead. In fact, the 3-fund portfolio is my favorite asset allocation.
- I’m a fan of the mustachian life…to an extent. You gotta live a little too.
- One of my favorite subreddits is “churning”. I followed a guide there on how to fly First Class Suites to Tokyo for free (using credit card points) and how to book a reservation with Jiro.
- Health > wealth. I’ll be talking a lot about money, but when it boils down to it. Health is #1.
- Meditate (using Muse) and Journal (5-Minute Journal) daily.
- Love reading financial blogs. That’s how I met my current CPA and saved more than $200K in one year pre-tax.